So you have finished that home extension or alteration, builders have finally left and the after builders cleaning has been done. What now though? You have some decorating ideas but unsure how to proceed.
We thought we would put a quick guide together that may be able to give you some really useful pointers, so that once the after builders cleaning is done you can make your house a home once again.
Here are some great tips on hour to make the most of a room and make it look great.
Our Top Tips For Decorating Your Home After Builders Cleaning Has Been Done
- Do research before after builders cleaning is complete. Start looking at magazines, websites, and furniture showrooms. When you see something you like, save a photo.
- Compare. Examine your collection of saved pictures, and think about what they have in common. Do they all use a turquoise color scheme? Antique furnishings? Natural wood? This will help you determine what you like and want.
- Set a budget. Decide how much to spend, and stick to your budget. If there’s not enough for multiple rooms, decorate the one that’s most used and save the bathroom or guestroom for later.
- Choose colours. If you don’t have a color in mind, start with a piece of furniture you like, a favorite accessory, or the carpet. If your main color is bright, use neutrals for accents. If the color is subdued, choose bright accents.
- Do a floor plan. It need not be decorator quality; let it be sloppy, if you’re not handy with a pen, or find templates online. Measure carefully as you create your floor plan, and do each measurement at least twice. Based on the floor plan, decide what will be placed where.
- Go pro. Just as you should consider professionals for after builders cleaning, consider pros for painting, carpeting, making draperies, etc. If you can’t afford professionals, work slowly and cautiously as you DIY.
- Invest wisely. Buy quality furniture, such as a sofa, dining table, and chairs. You’ll be using these a lot, and you want to them to be comfortable.
- Think clean and clutter-free. As you choose furniture and accessories, look for easy-to-clean pieces and items such as ottomans that open up to provide clutter-hiding storage.
- Personalise.Make the home look and feel like your own by including family photos, trophies, mementos, etc. as you accessorize.
- Accessorize cheaply. If your budget is limited, cut corners when buying accessories. Seek out pillows, lamps, pictures, etc. at discount stores and sales. Also visit thrift shops, flea markets, and eBay. One man’s trash is another’s treasure.
- Finally, even before you finish your after builders cleaning, let friends and extended family know you’re hunting bargains. You might be surprised at how much you love the things they’re happy to be rid of.
- Albert, F. (n.d.). How to decorate when you’re starting out or starting over. Houzz.
- Bradley. (2014, July 20). When the builders were gone I was left with the cleaning [Web log post]. Experience Talk.
- Kelly. (n.d.). Decorating 101: The cheater formula to decorating a blank room [Web log post]. View along the Way.
- McDonald, L. (n.d.). 6 tips for decorating your first home. HGTV.