There is nothing more rewarding than stepping into a clean kitchen at the end of a long day. Yet, is a clean house worth the steep price of those harmful chemicals? We think not. That is why we created this guide to help you get a clean house without using chemicals.
Ways to clean your kitchen with zero chemicals
There are four excellent chemical-free cleaners for your kitchen:
- Baking soda
- Lemon juice
- Steam mop
- Natural soap and warm water
You can employ these chemical-free cleaning solutions in your kitchen for all your appliances.
How to clean kettles naturally
You may not have realised that you could clean a kettle with vinegar – but it’s actually really effective! These steps will help you get rid of limescale and dirt from your kettle.
How to clean a kettle with vinegar in 10 easy steps:
- Pour out all the water from your kettle – along with the floating clumps of limescale.
- If possible, detach filters from your kettle’s spout and clean them separately.
- Fill half the kettle with vinegar (any type) and the other half with water.
- Leave the mixture to sit for at least an hour.
- Remove remaining limescale with an old toothbrush.
- Boil the kettle and empty the water.
- Refill your kettle to the maximum level with clean water, boil and then empty your kettle.
- Repeat step seven.
- Reattach your kettle’s spout.
- Your kettle is now clean and ready to start making cups of tea again.
Cleaning an oven without chemicals
Cleaning a dirty oven is probably one of the most hated household chores. However, there are some tricks that make it a much easier job. Regular household items can be used to clean the oven instead of splashing out on expensive products. What’s more, the oven can be cleaned naturally. Usually, this chore is reserved for a deep clean, but incorporating oven cleaning into your regular routine will reduce the amount of build-up.
So what is the best way to clean oven racks without chemicals? It is straightforward. These nine steps will make your oven shine by using citrus fruit and light scrub.
How to clean oven racks without chemicals:
- Preheat your oven to 121.1°C or 250°F.
- Cut two lemons or oranges in half.
- Squeeze the citrus juice onto a baking tray.
- Add water halfway up your dish.
- Place the remaining fruit in the tray. The water should rise a third of the way up.
- Put the tray in the oven for 30 minutes. Leave the tray in the oven for 45 minutes if it’s in a particularly bad way.
- Turn off the oven and wait until it has cooled down to avoid burns. Then remove the oven racks with oven gloves.
- Scrub the oven shelves with a scouring sponge. Steps 1-8 will make the scrubbing much easier than you are used to as the citrus juice will have loosened the dirt.
- Wipe down the sides of the oven with the remaining water from your dish. All done!
The best way to clean kitchen floors using zero chemicals
A homemade all-purpose cleaner is a versatile option that is safe for virtually any kitchen (other than marble and granite). It is the best way to clean kitchen floors! The Tips Bulletin has created an outstanding homemade all-purpose floor cleaner recipe. You can see the ingredients below.
For a natural floor cleaner, you’ll need:
- Two cups of warm water
- Five to ten small drops of essential oil
- Three dashes of natural liquid dish soap*
- One-quarter of a cup of rubbing alcohol
- Half a cup of white vinegar
Mix all the ingredients together in a bucket and use your mop to scrub the floors. Wait for the floors to dry and the process is complete. Easy!
*Ensure the liquid soap does not contain moisturisers, antibacterial ingredients or oxygen bleach.
A natural way to clean your sink
Step one: remove any dishes or food scraps
Step two: wipe down the sink with soapy warm water
Step three: create a paste of water and baking soda (to make stainless steel sinks sparkle)
Step four: rinse with vinegar to create a bubbly effect that naturally disinfects the sink
Step five: leave to dry
Tip: a drop of olive oil on a lint-free kitchen cloth will help your tap shine
How to clean kitchen counter tops naturally
To clean your kitchen surfaces without chemicals there are only four things you will need: reusable spray bottle (or a bowl will do), cloth, vinegar and water. First, create a solution comprising of vinegar and water. The recipe is easy, simply add half of each liquid. Add these items directly into your bottle or bowl. Next, shake the bottle or stir the mixture depending on your container. Finally, wipe the surfaces clean and rinse your cloth for future use.
Six steps to clean your fridge without chemicals
- Remove your food and drinks from the fridge
- Detach shelves and remove all fridge compartments
- Mix vinegar and water together
- Soak shelves and fridge compartments in half of the mixture
- Wipe fridge with a microfibre cloth and the remaining chemical-free solution
- Return all of the fridge contents!
The best chemical-free microwave cleaning hack
If you are looking for a way to remove food stains from your microwave then we have the perfect chemical-free microwave cleaning hack for you. Our method is designed for easy cleaning without chemicals.
- Fill a bowl with water.
- Soak roughly five thick pieces of kitchen roll in the water.
- Transfer the wet kitchen roll to the centre of your microwave and heat for two minutes.
- Leave the door shut for an additional ten minutes.
- Use the kitchen roll to gently wipe the inside of your microwave.
- Step back to appreciate a sparkling chemical-free microwave.
Too busy to clean yourself and need a chemical-free home?
These days time is precious and limited. Many families and professionals are too busy to clean, but they equally don’t want to hire a cleaner who uses chemicals in their homes. The good news is that there are local cleaners near you who only use eco-friendly alternatives and will not use chemicals.
Always check the website to review the company values – this will prove useful when choosing a chemical-free cleaning service.
Feature Image: LightField Studios / Shutterstock